Monday 11 June 2012

Let's Think About This - Lecture 12

So, perhaps the thing I would like to do most as a journalist is to be sent out and cover random happenings and try as many things as I can. But there is also something about investigative journalism that just seems so…alluring. I’m not sure if it is the passion or the intensity or the romanticism I’ve managed to associate with the job due to too many novels or shows, but investigative journalism strikes me as a lifestyle rather than a career. And I’d rather not see my work as a job and more as my life.

It is with no doubt that I say investigative journalism is in a league of its own – there are certain demands and rules to play by, and they can be just as murky as each other. However, to keep your head above water there are some features that a true journalist (not just those in the investigation field) must have. They are to be:

Ø  Intelligent

Ø  Informed

Ø  Intuitive

Ø  Inside (which is essentially understanding what goes on inside a person’s mind, to receive trust and know what that means)

Ø  Invested

I agree that all of these are important. I’d also like to think that I have most of these features already, and the starts of the rest. I’d like to highlight the importance of being invested though. I’m going to be repeating this a bit, but to me, being a journalist in general is a lifestyle. It’s not something I think you can turn on and off all that much, it becomes a part of your instincts. Being invested is going to guarantee not only the best result, but it is going to make you better, in your job and as a person (hopefully). You need to be able to put some of yourself into it, because what you are working on is going to have an impact on somebody’s life, probably very many. You can’t take that lightly. It also means you are going to be putting yourself at risk sometimes, and in many different ways.

I had a lecture of being safe when reporting not too long ago, where the general risks of being a reporter where listed, and even in being general there are many I wasn’t even consciously aware of. Even working at an office late at night can be a risk. Then you have disease from being out on scene, mental trauma, all before you reach actually being physically injured or in life-threatening situations.

A good example I can provide is a story I saw on 60 Minutes a little while ago where one of the reporters, Liam Bartlett,  went to the coldest habited place in Siberia (and if my memory serves me right, the world, too) where if its warmer than negative 55 degrees Celsius., than it's a good day.  That was actually rather dangerous because at a certain point your body does not recognise just how cold it is and you will suffer silently from hypothermia until it is too late. The reporter was told several times to rush inside and warm up because his nose was going completely white and he didn’t know it.

Here is a link to the video report to which you can watch the story:


But what is the purpose of all of this?

Investigative journalism is a critical and thorough version of journalism. It is not doing anything by half-miles – getting as much information as possible, whether it be to break conspiracy, inform the public or just cater to interest. It is important because it is lending a voice and telling stories. Those investigative journalists are ‘custodians of conscience’ – fighting for the side of justice and truth and are to hold those in power to the same rules as everyone else and not give them any leniency. Investigative journalists are watchdogs, for the people, for the better of society. They are sometimes all that can provide balance.

It is important that this doesn’t go to anyone’s heads however. The key to being a good journalist, let alone an investigative one, is to be objective. Stand back and look at the big picture, and put in the hard yards; take nothing for granted and work and check and double-check.

A good motto that was shared with the class was: BE SCEPTICAL NOT CYNICAL! I think that is appropriate because while being optimistic isn’t necessary, seeing the worst in everything is only going to lead you down into darkness fast, I believe.

So besides keeping a level head, other tips for investigative journalism in particular are to always check your facts. Assume nothing and finally, on an interesting note, expect those who are whistle-blowers to be or become crazy. Simply because the world is a crazy place and sometimes their crazy isn’t unjustified.

Lastly I’d like to add that there are a lot of big investigative journalism breakthroughs, (Watergate is one that even I am aware of despite being ‘so young and naïve’). I like to look at Wikileaks as a prime example – despite the fact that Julian Asange and his team are not actually journalists. On a personal note, I don’t think what they are doing is wrong, but I do agree it is dangerous and can understand both sides of the argument. I do feel that they are changing the world and making it more honest, holding people in account of their actions and making many realise that they can’t get away with everything. Those who commit acts not socially deemed acceptable (even if it be in military battle) need to sweat a little or the world is in trouble. And that is what journalist do.
We change the world. And that is why I am here.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment