Monday 4 June 2012

Giving All I Can


I’m going to put up a small article I wrote for a reporting assignment regarding giving blood and the shortages in donations that occur.

 
Negative Signs for O-Negative Stocks?
Jessica Gregory (18) is a frequent and proud blood donor, inspired by seeing both perspectives of the donating process.

One in every three Australians will require a blood transfusion, and yet, only one in thirty donates.
Blood is a critical element in the saving of lives, however, the Australian Red Cross Blood Service is currently facing a shortage of the precious and universal blood type; O-Negative.
Vital through its diversity of uses, blood is included the treatment of trauma, cancer and dialysis-stricken patients to name just a few. O-Negative blood is compatible with most people and is therefore the most used and in demand.
“Blood prevents or alleviates some illnesses,” explains Jeremy Stevens, employee of the Brisbane Royal Children’s Hospital, “For those who need it, a blood shortage puts their lives in danger.”
Jessica Gregory, 18 and a frequent blood donor, understands the severity of the situation all too well after losing her grandfather, who received blood transfers frequently, to cancer in early 2011. She donates every twelve weeks despite having a fear of needles. “If I can prevent someone going through what my family and I did, then I will…this is my way of doing it,” Ms Gregory shares.
“You don’t have to be a surgeon or a scientist to save a life,” she continues, “it’s free and easy…there are no consequences.”
Belinda Haymes, Red Cross Public Affairs Officer, informs us that, “due to the aging population, the need for blood will double in the next decade.”
“We need more people to give blood and to give it regularly. A lot of people donate only once when they can donate every 12 weeks….how often is just as important as how many.”
However, the future is looking less threatening with most other blood type stocks in their necessary ranges and an increasing number of youth donors stepping forward and committing, such as young Ms Gregory.
“So many people need blood and you can save someone’s life with that 500mls you give…I will continue to donate as frequently as I can and urge others to do the same.”
So I thought I would share this because last week I gave blood, and even though so much went wrong, I still intend to give blood again because it is so simple and easy and so very important.
Now I consider myself an expert procrastinator. If there was a title, Queen of Procrastination, I would definitely compete for that title, and probably win. I procrastinate with everything, from assignments, to eating and even going to bed. I have done so many ridiculous things, including reading the first two books of Harry Potter in one day, baking enough cupcakes, pikelets, muffins and cookies to run my own bake sale, skydiving, and last week I added giving blood to that list.

By all rights I should have been studying. I had finished my lectures for the morning and had seven hours to fill in until my next and last lecture for the day. I also had a test the next day that I had avoided thinking about for a number of weeks. So, that day I had intended to sit down, read over all my hand-written notes and printed out lecture and tutorial PowerPoint’s and activities that I had spent an hour or two printing out the night before. But on the way I walked passed a Red Cross blood donation van and for some reason the idea popped into my mind that I had never given blood before, and hey I had seven hours to kill, why not?

I organised with a friend to meet up and we would do it together. I had to wait an hour so I sat down, ate lunch, watched the end of a documentary and helped a friend with their assignment. (When I’m procrastinating I’m also one of the most helpful people). Then I went to the van, filled in a form and within fifteen minutes I was in the van, getting prepared to have a needle stuck into me and 500mls of my blood sucked out.

Though I phrase it that roughly, it really was enjoyable. I had fun and didn’t suffer from any nerves really. I wasn’t uncomfortable all that much, just a bit tense and worried about dropping the ball they wanted me to continue rolling my hand. I did drop it though so I think it was an honest concern and I did manage to knock my arm trying to catch it. No damage was sustained however.

Really, it wasn’t until everything should have been over and the needle extracted that things didn’t go according to plan. I suddenly felt very queasy in my stomach and was taking some deep breathes. For some reason I decided to tell the lady who was cleaning me up and she rushed to roll me onto my side and give me one of those puke bags. She grabbed a Japanese fan and swiftly began to give me a lovely breeze, which I needed because I was very hot, clammy and drenched in dry sweat. I ended up being given an oxygen mask, which gave me almost instant relief.

Anyways, that lasted for five to ten minutes. Unfortunately the drama didn’t cease there. For some unknown reason, from that point onwards, it was near impossible to detect my blood pressure. At first it was just believed that my blood pressure had dropped a very significant degree, but when my blood pressure refused to pick back up they had three or four people checking and double-checking. Then the machines were brought out and they couldn’t find my blood pressure.

Now I was clearly not dead. Alive and kicking and all, but they kept me around to make sure everything was okay. So instead of being there for fifteen minutes like everybody else, I was there for three hours.

In the end they gave up. I had eaten, drank bottles upon bottles of water, had lain down, sat up, walked, went to the bathroom (with a supervisor following me to make sure I didn’t pass out or anything) and talked my mouth dry. So they let me go with plenty of information, advice, instructions and phone numbers should anything feel wrong. I was perfectly fine for the rest of the week. Just a bruised arm from all the times my blood pressure had been taken.

Why I’m telling this story is one, it’s entertaining. But two is because I want to convey how important giving blood is. I will go back in 12 weeks’ time despite the dramatic experience. The people are so nice; there was no pain, very little levels of discomfort, and great outcome. I will save three persons’ lives. And even though it took three hours, it was definitely worth it. For most people it would be much simpler, faster, easier. So I don’t see why people don’t do it.

The main thing I have gotten from doing interviews for assignments and talking to people when actually giving blood myself is that it is not people to give blood that is really being asked for. Yes, the Red Cross always needs this. But it’s the fact that most people who give blood think it’s a one and done thing. No, what is needed is for people to keep coming back.

So give blood. It doesn’t take long or much. And keep going back.

Imagine all the lives that can be saved. It’s a wonderful thing, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment