Friday 25 May 2012

Medea : Meh-day-a not ‘Media’


So I just went back to my high school, my old haunt, the good ol’ stomping grounds etc., etc. to see a CAD play. CAD (Centre of Artistic Development) is an extracurricular drama class for the really passionate and talented year 11 and 12 drama students. You have to audition to get in, maintain passing grades in both Year 11 and 12, and stay after schools at least several hours throughout the week. They perform two performances each year outside of school hours and require hours upon hours, weeks upon weeks of time and effort.

Now I’m not a drama student; I could have been, but I thought I could never do it justice. Almost every one of my friends, however, are drama students. Some are even pursuing acting as a career path, one is even being sent to California to participate in the World’s Championships of Performing Arts. My best friends were all apart of CAD and I went to every one of their plays and helped out in their rehearsals as much I could. So safe to say I leant my support in this current play despite my friends having all graduated and not actively being involved. I promoted the play on my radio show and man am I glad I did.

The play they performed was the Greek tragedy, Medea, which revolves around Medea, the mother, getting revenge on her husband who has deserted her and their children to marry into the royal family. In the end she kills her husband’s new wife and father-in-law (the princess and king of the land respectively) and her own children as well. It was dark, raw and emotional performance and I was absolutely enthralled by it. The play went for an hour, but it felt like 15, maybe 20 minutes to me. There was a dark sense of humour and drama, my favourite part was actually a cooking segment for how to make poison. There was so much entailed including choreography for dances, interesting/powerful/sometimes even hilarious song choices. The way they moved around the entire stage and into the audience, how they yelled and threw themselves around; not a single person walked away from this play without being absolutely mind blown.

I was majorly impressed with how the start and end of the play took a modern day feel with a video put together featuring news stories of child murders and court trials of the mother culprit and her confessing, with experimental footage of the ocean and atomic bombs and things I can’t even describe to sum up the play and just really enhanced everything.

Alright, so here’s when I stop rambling and talk about the effects of this performance. These kids, with their teachers, put in a huge effort. They were able to get an entire Modelling and Prop Making class to make them props and an art teacher to paint them. Students from past and present worked lighting, footage and music and they got the local radio station (me and my co-workers) to advertise. The actors were spending much time after school practicing for two months straight and were even attending these sessions on Sundays from 9-5. What’s more, half of them are grade 12 students and balance this with assignments. They have their block exams in two weeks from now, too.

And yet despite all this there still seems to be a lack of regard for the arts, particular in the performing arts area. The school is thinking of getting rid of the CAD program. Funding is next to nothing and the students are paying hundreds of dollars each year to be a part of it so that it can stay afloat and they can learn. That seems just wrong to me. Seeing this play tonight you realise there is such talent and all you want is to see more. It makes me angry that Premier Cambell Newman can cut funding to arts like he is. Don’t get me wrong, I think he is doing a good job, but this particular action sends out messages, ones that I had hoped we had moved on from.

In any case, I emplore people to enjoy the arts. Check out your local theatre groups, see what plays are happening, and definitely see what is happening in the schools. They need all the help they can get.

I hope to interview at least one of the teachers who organised this Medea play if not some of the actors themselves on the radio in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get my hands on some photos of the event to put up here, too. It was just so good I wish everyone could see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment