Sunday 27 May 2012

Freefalling

I’m that friend that always tries to convince you to do random things outside of most people’s comfort zones. Not because I am a bully, but because I feel people should generally try something once. My main mission as of the last year or so is to get as many friends and associates of mine to go skydiving. I’ve done it and found it absolutely amazing and I wish that as many people as possible could experience it.

And then something like what happens today ends up in the news and everyone feels justified in thinking those who go skydiving are insane and would never ‘jump out of a perfectly good airplane’.

The event I am referring to is the tragic accident in the Lockyer Valley today that saw a sixty-two year old, very experienced skydiver fall to his death when both his parachute and reserve parachute failed. Very little is actually known (or shared with us) of the details. All I could find out was this man had done jumps like these for something like 1,000 times and had packed his own chutes, but for some – currently – unknown reason they did not work for him. People rushed to the scene and performed CPR but they couldn’t help him.

Understandably those people are traumatised, especially because the thought of someone falling that far and knowing the likely grave outcome that would result is absolutely horrible. I would never wish that upon anyone. I do, however, have issues with what I know is going to result from this; people will turn their noses up at skydiving or will protest against.

Now, as I said above, I’ve been skydiving. Only once mind you, but I’ve always wanted to do it. And I plan to do it again, many times in fact. Even this incident, as upsetting as it is – even to me – has not put me off jumping out of a plane at 14,000 feet, and I honestly don’t think it should for anybody else either.

Yes, there are dangers when it comes to skydiving, but there is in most things you do in your everyday lives. Skydiving’s threats are just more glaringly obvious. But all the necessary precautions are taken. The thing that bugs me most, and what I really want to convey as my message here, is that there are very few deaths related to skydiving. The biggest killer is motor vehicles. More people have died driving home from work or going out than jumping out of a plane thousands of feet in the sky. I think a little perspective is needed here. When you jump out of a plane you put on all the safety equipment, you run over procedures, you do every possible thing you can to make the experience as safe and happy and successful as is possible. Now look at driving and we have people that don’t wear seatbelts, don’t care about lights or speed restrictions or even keeping their eyes on the road because – oh! They have a text message on their phone!

I just think it’s a little wrong. People thinking they know what is right and wrong when there are so many people making the same mistake recklessly and yet skydiving is worse. Unfortunately I get rather frustrated when people think I’m wrong or just stupid because I have been skydiving. I don’t like when people close their minds to things – I’m not saying they should go skydiving, but they shouldn’t completely shut it down to those who actually care. That’s what I’m saying.

Well, that, and to pay my respects to a man I didn’t know but have a lot of respect and admiration to, by defending something that he was clearly passionate about after doing it 1,000 times, but can’t express his opinion because of a mishap.

So if you want to go skydiving, or have been considering it but are unsure, I highly recommend that you try it out. At least once. It's an amazing experience and one worth feeling, if you ask me.

On a more pleasing note, here is some photographic evidence that I went skydiving. I was surprisingly unfazed by the entire act, despite the fact I only decided to do it all in just twenty minutes (as a form of procrastination from a school assignment). So relaxed was I that the professional jumpers were trying to psyche me out. It didn’t work. They will see me back there again sometime this year.











Skydiving pictures: there are always so flattering!

No comments:

Post a Comment