Saturday 14 April 2012

Using Text to Talk About Text - Lecture 3

Lecture 3 was loaded with not only new information, but a new face and perception to become accustomed to. I think I adjusted to it very well and Skye Doherty was very interesting to listen to. I felt like we were both sort of on the same page and had the same understanding about the world in relation to text, which is a great thing because it helps me maintain my concentration.

What I really like about text is how it is almost ubiquitous. Even those who claim they don’t read much are not immune to text, particularly in this highly online-oriented society we are members of.
But what is text?
Text is:
  • Fast
  • Flexible
  • In complete control
  • Portable
  • Searchable
In journalism, text is the predominant method of delivering news. So much so that there has been a particular style and system that has developed to produce the best possible story for readers.
The rules I obtained from this lecture were that the introductions were vital. They have to be short and simple, but still provide the basic information of who, what, where, when and how usually in twenty words or less. From this point, the rest of the story is teased out from that introduction and with the inverted pyramid can be heavily edited down or cut out without losing any essential information.

Inverted Pyramid diagram:

I also learnt what general factors make a good headline. These three tips I thought were great advice:
  1. Use a verb
  2. Make them true
  3. Avoid puns
Considering I have a wicked sense of humour that has been nurtured by my father, being told straightforwardly to avoid them in headlines was highly appreciated. Mostly because I would have used puns. A lot. So I think Skye might have just saved me from some awkward or disastrous headline-making attempts.
Just as a side tangent – last year, in my final year of high school, I worked for my school newsletter and wrote a number of featured stories and took plenty of photographs. I did this with one other friend. Writing the stories and taking the photographs were very easy for me. What I could never do, however, was write a headline. I attempted, several times, but I never could create anything. As was said in the lecture, creating good headlines and intros are crafts, ones that are crucial to master. So let’s say that Skye’s advice has definitely been taken to heart. I do regret not trying more in high school, however, after Skye informed us that the act of creating a headline and standfirst, and pull-out quotes are typically restricted to senior journalists and not the amateurs. I understand this process, but I personally think it helps no one. Young journalists take longer to learn and senior journalists spend half their time (maybe more, maybe less) writing headlines and standfirsts and so on for other people’s stories. I feel that I was gifted with a great opportunity to work on those skills, and kind of let it drift me by. I will find a way to amend this, somehow.
Earlier I mentioned that text is practically omnipresent, especially when it comes to the internet. Well, this was discussed in our lecture in quite some detail too! The fact is, text is fundamental online – the ‘heart of digital publishing’ is all words.
We use it in:
ü  Emails
ü  Forums
ü  Blogs
ü  Comments – Facebook, YouTube, Blogs, on basically everything
ü  Blurring
ü  Facebook
The last example is important because Facebook is phenomenal at the moment, and is one of the major ways in which people are receiving news. They are also encouraging for debates. If I could share all the interesting discussions I’ve taken part in with my friends on Facebook over a simple observation or emotional outburst, I would – but there are too many examples and that little issue of privacy.
An example I will give however is The Project on Channel 10 weeknights. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts are always posting stories and surveys for people to read and comment on to enhance their show and gain interest. Plus they read many of their comments on air too, which is a great way to motivate people to participate.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/theprojecttv - like it and take part of so many surveys and read many stories. It's fascinating, really.
Overall, I was not surprised by the importance of text. I learn from words and spend a lot of time on the internet reading. I was surprised by how stories on the internet differ from older media news stories, with aspects like tags and excerpts making spreading the news easier. Personally, I always considered working for an online magazine, and this lecture only further encouraged me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment