Sunday 15 April 2012

So listen to the radio... - Lecture 5

“As it is in life, as it is in radio.” – Steve A.

This lecture is hands down my favourite. This is because I am biased – I’m an avid radio fan, mostly because I work on the radio. So, heads up, this blog post is going to be a little more personal.

To demonstrate this, I am including a picture of me doing my radio show at my local radio station.




So this lecture was all about sound, and keeping true to form, it was done as an mp3 recording of two radio interviews. And I loved it.

I’ve always been fascinated by the radio, probably because I’ve grown up listening to it. My mother would always have it on in the early mornings; we still listen to it in the car every time we go out, but my favourite memories of listening to the radio is when the power was out. Whether it was a storm, or power outage, or Earth hour, I would sit with my mother in the dark with our little battery powered radio and listen to talk back radio shows. I would always sit back and wonder what it would be like to work at a radio station. Never did I think I would actually do it. But I did.

Similar to the first guest speaker, Richard F. (because I don’t know how to properly spell his last name), I accidentally got into radio. This is something I’ve always known was a huge gift and privilege given to me, but I never realised how important it can be to other radio announcers. Unlike the second guest speaker, Steve A., I did not spend years sending letter after letter out to get a gig in radio. In fact, I did it on a whim, and got the gig in the span of two weeks. Honestly, I think it is luck of the draw – because I still feel like the luckiest 18 year old around.

This highlights one of the big things about radio. It’s all human and real. Half the announcers grew up aiming to get that seat behind the mic, others didn’t. Some started young, others fell into it later on. Radio is a completely different medium than its broadcasting counterpart, television. It is intimate with its audience, personal, almost familiar. The trick to radio announcing is to include your audience, speak as if you are talking to one individual rather than a group (a trick that is not as easy as you think – I’m still working on it and have been given the advice to bring in a small toy that I can put in front of me and look at when doing a voice break to practice). I like the comment Richard made about the radio coming from inside the listener’s head. This is a good way of describing that closeness that radio provides. This is mostly because it fits in with everyday life. At home, in the car, on the bus while travelling two hours to university (ahem), whether walking the dog, washing the dishes, making dinner or the kids’ lunches for school  - you can listen to radio while living your life. It’s a multi-taskers dream. This is probably why radio is thriving so well nowadays, and perhaps even growing stronger: because it is not time-consuming in a society where everyone is very time-poor.

Radio is great because it is a happening now enterprise. By that I mean that the news is current, the topics relevant, most of the time you hear the show you can ring up and speak to that person about what they just said. Radio is a public service and serves a purpose – to be useful to the public.

These particular conversations revolved more around the act of interviewing people on air. As I have done two or three interviews with special guests in the last year I say from experience that it is quite different. Conventionally you do not want a voice break to go longer than 7 minutes and it is up to the announcer to keep the interview going, either by just letting the guest talk and listening, or by participating in an active conversation. Either way, as the journalist you have to be genuinely interested – which is great for me because I love learning new things – especially when it’s small tidbit information. There is also an etiquette to interviewing someone: don’t probe, respect the guest even if you do not agree with what they are saying and let them speak. I always think being able to tease them is a great asset too because it not only builds rapport but shares that with the audience. Of course teasing falls into common sense and you need to establish whether it is acceptable to do so before you go on air. The best piece of advice I got out of doing live interviews is to remember that it is a privilege. Whether you like them or not, you feel comfortable or interested, agree or disagree with their opinions, it is a privilege to have someone come in and open themselves up on air and that is something to be awed and humbled by.

Another tip I got was the usefulness of silence. When I do my radio show, silence scares me. Normally it means that either the equipment isn’t working or I’ve done something wrong with the panel. But in the case of an interview silence is a tool. It can be profound. Radio is all about the voice. There is no visual distractions, there is just sound to deliver a story, to create an image, to influence others. To go completely silent in a moment and have nothing there seems almost magical.

There is really only one aspect that I tend to disagree with and that is a comment made by Steve. He said that ‘if you wouldn’t do it in life, don’t even think about doing it in radio’ – meaning whatever content or act or comment you intend to share on air, you must think about your actions. I of course think this is very important, but I also think it depends on context. For me, working on radio builds my confidence. I would rather do something for radio than just because. Radio provides opportunities as much as it does information and entertainment and I believe everything should be at least considered. Don’t restrict yourself, but be sensible.

Overall, I think I wrote more tips for my radio show than I did general notes. But I learnt so much on various levels and thought it was wonderful to experience a lecture in a different manner. If anything, my love and respect for radio has definitely strengthened as a result of this.

“Radio is the theatre of the mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment