Monday 16 April 2012

Howdy Neighbour

"Neighbours...everybody needs good neighbours..."

Yeah, I did that...

Every now and again I sit down with my mother and try to keep up with her evening TV routines. This consists of watching the 5pm report on channel 10, followed by the 6 – 6.30pm report on channel 9 and lastly A Current Affairs (except I usually insist on watching The Project instead). Tonight was one of those nights and I was amazed by the different stories – from Logie Leaks, to an investigative journalist report: today was just one those full-on news days.

 



One particular story caught my attention – that of the 3 year old toddler found playing next to the body of her dead mother within her home. So I thought I would share what I know and what it means for society.

So what I can deduce from the three separate coverage of the story is this: a year old toddler girl was found playing next to her deceased mother in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales. If this was not heartbreaking enough, a disturbing fact came into light when officials looked over the mother’s body: she had been dead for at least three days, other reports are saying five. This meant that the child was left completely alone for up to five days and it is suspected she only survived from eating Easter eggs.

The last time the mother was seen was Easter Monday, collecting some of her washing before going inside with the chore only half completed. From then on several days passed and it wasn’t until a neighbour found the laundry still left out suspicious and contacted the local priests who (allegedly) climbed through a window and found the two bodies inside, one alive and the other not, before calling in the police. From what has been released so far, the death looks to be caused from a pre-existing medical condition on the mother’s part.

The good news is the child is as fine as one can be when in such a situation. Obviously she is suffering from severe dehydration (since she wouldn’t have had a drink in up to five days) and high blood-sugar levels from living off only chocolate eggs. I do wonder what psychological issues could arise in the future from this trauma though.

In any case, the interesting – and sad – point I took from all of this was that neighbourhoods are not what they used to be, or what I thought they were.

Now I’d like to think I’m fairly objective and I try to avoid assumptions at all costs, but I’m surprised by how someone can be dead for five days with a child, not be seen at all, and no one wonders about it. I remember another story a few years ago where an elderly woman had been dead for weeks in her apartment and it was someone like the landlord who found her after all that time. It’s terrible.

I live in the same neighbourhood I’ve grown up with; I’ve never moved house. While most of my neighbours have come and gone; we are a very close street. I know each person’s name of almost every person on my street. I know where they work, how to contact them, what’s happening this week for them, when their birthdays are – we all give each other Christmas presents and birthday presents to each other when the time comes. Most importantly, we look out for each other. My next door neighbours a few years ago were out one time and two boys tried to rob them, but because my mother could hear something and a neighbour across the road saw them, the whole street came together to chase after the robbers once they decided to flee after being caught. We look out for each other’s animals, and we help each other out if an accident occurs or a car breaks down. It’s hard to believe that others do not share the unique experience of living in a great place, but I am aware it happens, far too occasionally.

What my point is here is that I think society is becoming too solitary – with technology keeping us indoors and preoccupied, even though it provides us the opportunity to connect with others all over the place, including globally, it does not help us get outside, go next door and at least find out if someone is living next to us. Is it a fear, or laziness, or a narrow-minded sense of self that does this? I’m not sure, but I am taking the gift I have been given of great neighbours and cherishing it for all it is worth – at least I know if I am ever in trouble there are people around who will not only notice, but lend out a helping hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment